Disclaimer - I'm going off of 5 hours of sleep. And I've already said "touche" twice in 2 hours. That's a record.
I'm an Aggie. I'm a very proud Aggie. I love my school. I love our traditions. I love Aggie sports. I'm an Aggie. For better and for worse.
But. In light of a less-than-thrilling football season and seeing tweets and facebook statuses from non-Aggies, I need to air a few of my thoughts. Feel free to not read from here on out if you are just as feisty as I am this morning.
1. Sherman is a disappointment. Sherman is our coach. The coach that apparently doesn't know how to make adjustments during half time. You know, adjustments that could be made to win a game in the 2nd half? I'm sure he's a really nice guy. And I'm not bashing his character or morals or anything like that. No judgement on him as a person. Just his job. Just like someone could tell me I don't do a good job. Sherman... you don't do a good job. Our record is 6-6. 5 of the 6 loses were lost in the 4th quarter. That means we were up in the 4th and then lost. 11-1 would've been nice. That's all.
2. Aggie quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, is a good kid. A smart kid. It's just sad that he has fallen into the Senior Aggie Quarterback curse. We have one of those. Great Junior years, awful Senior years. I wish he could've thrown the ball in the right directions a few more times last night. The best player for UT last night was, in fact, Tanny.
3. Fact: I don't like UT at all. I tolerate UT. If they play someone I really really don't like, ie Texas Tech, I will pull more for the Horns... but still hope that there's a way for them to both lose. If they play someone I really don't have an opinion on, I just take the stance of "let the best team win". I may not like them winning... but whatever. The only thing I don't like is for UT to have a better record than A&M. And... well... I don't like UT winning at.all. during basketball season. I would be thrilled if they never won a basketball game. Just being honest.
4. Longhorn "bandwagon" fans. I'm not even going to lump people that didn't attend UT in this category. I grew up with an uncle, a cousin, and multiple good friends that are HUGE UT fans. Huge ones. And none of them went to the school. I live in Austin. That's where UT is. There are LOTS of UT fans here that have never gone to school there. That's okay. If you are lifelong fans... I respect that. There are lifelong Aggie fans that have never gone to A&M. That's awesome. I'm a lifelong Notre Dame fan. But, I've never even stepped on their campus. I digress. When I mean "bandwagon" fans, I mean the ones that ACT like lifelong fans, but have only cared about UT football since the days of Vince Young, ie circa 2005, ie the year they one the National Championship. These are bandwagon, ie Tshirt, fans. These are the fans that bother me the most. These are the fans that I lose respect for. These are the fans that make losing to UT really difficult to swallow. These are the fans that make me want to kick someone in the shins. And yes, if you must know, I feel embarrassed that A&M have these fans too... but let's face it, you don't see many bandwagon Aggie fans as of late.
5. Aggie War Hymn. Yes. We sing about UT and Bevo. So what. I bet most Longhorn bandwagoners don't know Texas Fight was originally written to combat the Aggie War Hymn. That's right... it was written in RESPONSE to the Aggie War Hymn. You mean Aggies got under the skin of the Horns? Hmm. Interesting. "Texas Fight, Texas Fight and it's goodbye to A&M" Google it. And no. I don't think we should change our War Hymn when we go to the SEC.
6. If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you know that I lost a dear friend in the Aggie Bonfire collapse in 1999. I'm not trying to be the Aggie that brings up Bonfire... believe me, it's hard to talk about sometimes. But, I bring it up now, because it wasn't until the Bonfire collapse that I learned to respect UT. They stepped up in a way that words can't describe in the days after the collapse. ALL of UT. Administrators, students and fans. I'm still moved by their actions, prayers and thoughtfulness during A&M's darkest hour. I graduated in 2003 from A&M. I really truly believe that, for the most part, the students that came to A&M post-Bonfire don't have the same respect for UT the way that pre-Bonfire Aggies do. Yes, us pre-ers have that love-hate relationship with UT, the post-ers just seem to hate, not all... but most. It bothers me. Alot. I hate that we have students that don't understand that this is a "respectful" rivalry... or at least it used to be. I'm not wanting us to stand around a campfire and sign Kumbaya... but do want us to have some respect. There's a documentary about the Bonfire collapse called "Burning Desire", it also includes the A&M-UT game that followed the week after the collapse. I just ordered it. Not to sit on the couch with popcorn in hand and relive the great win... but to use it as a teaching tool for my kids. I want my kids to know what happened and why their momma has respect for a school that isn't my own. I want them to know that if they go to A&M, or even UT (gulp), that I expect them to treat these 2 schools, and whatever rivalry exists in 2033, with the utmost respect.
7. I'm ready to go to the SEC. I know we may not be true contenders for a few years, but I do believe that Arkansas went into the SEC in the same boat as the Aggies will. And, I think that ol' Arkansas is #3 in the nation. And I think that that gives me some hope.
8. Yelling at an Aggie Football game is a FANTASTIC ab workout. I'm real sore. And confession, I like having a raspy voice.
9. The next time the Aggies and the Horns meet will be a great game. We'll have a few seasons of playing in a pre-NFL conference and Texas may be independent by then. It'll be awesome. And I will try my best to be there. And I will have sore abs, no voice and tired, red eyes the next day.
10. I probably won't be watching the Aggies in a bowl game, if we get invited to one. We tend to be rather disappointing in bowls. I also probably won't be partaking in the annual college football pick contest that I usually do. Why? Cause I can't pick against the Aggies... so it's best not to pick at all. It's now Aggie Basketball season in my heart and in my house. And I'm okay about that...
Now, I'm going to need a pedicure, massage, big fat nap and a movie.