8.10.2010

blind.

Often, I pray for God to give me eyes to see and ears to hear... to break my heart for what breaks His. And, almost every single time I pray these things, I'm convicted by something I chose to spend my time reading, listening to, saying, watching or thinking. Always. So, I pray for it more... But, it wasn't until recently, that in the midst of praying these things, that I felt led to be thankful for the gifts to see, hear, speak, feel... and let's face it, taste, because I love food.

At any rate, yesterday I was on the plane coming back from a day-long meeting in Dallas. I was tired... I was ready to be home. I snagged a seat on the front row of seats in between two older men. Not really in the mood to talk, I figured that this was the safest bet. But then, that conviction of the Holy Spirit kicked in, and I at least thought I should make a little small talk... because I don't think Jesus would have ever just sat on a plane and not engaged in some meaningful conversation.

I started chatting with the man on my right, and quickly learned that he is 100% legally blind. He had beautiful, sky-colored eyes and a heart-warming smile. He loved his job of traveling all over Texas, sharing with different companies this incredible product that turns our print media into media for the blind. As he was talking, I was sitting there thinking, "no computer? no internet? no TV? no iPhone? no driving?!" It never really occurred to me that the blind really don't have all of those modern-day gadgets and conveniences that all of us don't even think twice about. But then, the good ol' Holy Spirit started tugging at my heart... again.

The truth is that I am blessed. I can see the beauty, wonder and greatness of God's creation. My sight is something I truly take for granted. I know that the Lord has provided incredible things for those without sight... I know that this man, and any other human with a beating heart, is created in God's image. I hope that all of you know I wasn't sitting there thinking, "Oh poor little blind man..." I was merely just reflecting on those precious gifts that I take for granted every single day. I was whole-heartedly convicted about the things I waste my sight on... facebook, stupid tv shows or stupid movies. I couldn't help but be sick at the thought that I chose these things often over reading my Bible, reading books or taking in God's creation... or anything that stirs my heart into loving Jesus more. I waste my sight.

Now, I'm not going to swear off TV or anything like that... but in those times where I know that I should be doing something else and my flesh just wants to sit on the couch and do nothing... well, I don't want to waste my sight anymore. I want to grow, learn and pray. I want to fall deeply and intimately in love with Jesus. I am a wasteful person... and I think I've finally had a little wake-up call. 
As I was leaving the airport yesterday, I thanked God for Steve. For using him in my life... and I just pray that Steve felt the love of Jesus through our conversation. We didn't talk about Jesus at all... but I just hope he felt His presence the way I did. :)  My heart has been stirred in a way that was desperately needed.



1 comment:

  1. Your post made me cry and I can totally relate. I am praying for Steve too and for myself that I can choose the greater in my time.

    ReplyDelete